Split Pea Soup Erwten Soep NLFrom pingusan 8 years ago
- 1 pkg of dry split-peas. Most of them don't require pre-soaking, so read carefully. shopping list
- 2 cans of chicken or vegetable broth (or 3.5 cups of water with 4 bullion cubes.) shopping list
- 4 cups of water shopping list
- 2 smoked sausages, cooked shopping list
- 1 pound of torn shoulder ham shopping list
- 5 carrots, chopped shopping list
- 3-5 stalks of celery, chopped shopping list
- 4 potatoes, thickly chopped shopping list
- 1/3 cup of butter shopping list
- chopped parsley shopping list
- oregano shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Start the broth on the stove: stock, water, 1/2 of the butter.
- Add the pkg of split-peas
- Add the all the vegetables (carrots, celery, potatoes), parsley, and oregano.
- After the soup has boiled up, add the meats.
- Lower heat and let simmer.
- After one hour, and the remaining butter and stir.
- After one more hour, the soup should be pretty thick. A little thicker than chowder.
- This soup is traditionally served with "roggebrood," e.g. Rye or Pumpernickel bread.
The Cookpingusan Cedar Rapids, IA
- Not added to any groups yet!