Cheese PuffsFrom lor 7 years ago
- 1 cup water shopping list
- 1 tablespoon butter shopping list
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper shopping list
- 1 cup all-purpose flour shopping list
- 2 large eggs shopping list
- 4 large egg whites, divided shopping list
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan, Romano or asiago cheese, divided shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Lightly coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- Combine water, butter, oil, salt and cayenne in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Remove from heat and add flour.
- Stir with a wooden spoon until it forms a smooth paste.
- Return the mixture to low heat and cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes, to dry the paste slightly.
- Remove from heat and cool for 2 minutes.
- Lightly whisk together whole eggs and 3 egg whites.
- Beat one quarter of the egg mixture into the flour paste with a wooden spoon until absorbed.
- Repeat with 3 more additions of the egg mixture, until the paste is smooth and glossy.
- Stir in 3/4 cup of the cheese.
- Drop 1-inch mounds 1-1/2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets, using a pastry bag or spoon.
- Lightly beat the remaining egg white and brush it over each puff. Sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons cheese.
- Bake, one sheet at a time, until the puffs are firm and well browned, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Serve warm.
- Makes 4-1/2 dozen puffs