Alcatra Portuguese Pot Roast With Wine Bacon amp GarlicFrom dfangel 9 years ago
- 1/4 lb lean bacon, diced shopping list
- 1 tablespoon olive oil shopping list
- 3 1/2 lbs boneless beef rump roast or sirloin tip roast shopping list
- 2 cups thinly sliced onions shopping list
- 3 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- 12 whole peppercorns shopping list
- 4 whole cloves shopping list
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste shopping list
- 3 cups white wine (cheaper is better) shopping list
- 3/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
How to make it
- n a large heavy Dutch oven, saute the bacon in the olive oil until drippings are rendered and bacon is browned a bit and crisp; transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- In the bacon drippings, brown the beef roast well on all sides over moderately high heat.
- Transfer to the plate with bacon, then add onions, garlic, bay leaves, peppercorns and cloves to the Dutch oven. Saute about 10 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Blend in tomato paste, lower the heat, cover and steam for 20 minutes.
- Remove and set aside half of the tomato-onion mixture; place the beef roast back into the Dutch oven with the bacon, then spoon remaining tomato-onion mixture on top. Carefully pour the wine and salt around the beef roast and bring to a simmer.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cover and bake in the 375 degree oven for 2 hours; remove and turn beef over in the liquid. Lower oven temperature to 325 degrees F then bake uncovered about 1 hour longer or until meat is falling-apart tender.