Cranberry - Mushroom SauteFrom borinda 7 years ago
- 2 or 3 Tbsp. olive oil shopping list
- 1 1/2 cup chopped onion shopping list
- 3 large cloves of garlic, minced (about 2 tsp) shopping list
- 1 1/2 pounds mixed mushrooms, cleaned and cut into bite-sized pieces shopping list
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter shopping list
- kosher salt and ground pepper to taste shopping list
- 1/2 cup dry, fruity wine such as a Pinot Noir or merlot shopping list
- 1 1/2 cup cranberries, picked through and cleaned shopping list
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cranberry juice shopping list
- 1 cup low-salt or no-salt chicken broth shopping list
- 1 sprig thyme shopping list
- Pinch of brown sugar if needed for balance shopping list
How to make it
- In a medium-sized skillet or wok heat the olive oil. Add the onions and cook until they start to become translucent, then add the garlic.
- When the garlic is aromatic add the mushrooms, butter, and season to taste.
- Cook a minute before adding the wine. (at this point grab a nice wine glass and start sipping and enjoying yourself), and continue to cook until the wine in the skillet is reduced by half.
- Add the cranberries, cranberry juice, broth, and sprig of thyme.
- Simmer until the juice and broth are reduced and the mixture is somewhat saucy.
- Remove the thyme sprig, taste, and adjust the seasonings. Add some brown sugar if a bit of sweetness would balance the flavors.