Glyko Karydaki - Fresh Walnuts In SyrupFrom ivy 6 years ago
- 50 fresh green walnuts shopping list
- 2 kilos of sugar shopping list
- 4 - 5 glasses of water shopping list
- The juice of 5 - 6 lemons. Keep the juice of ½ lemon for the end shopping list
- 25 blanched almonds, split in the middle and browned shopping list
- 1 cup of quick lime shopping list
- 6 – 7 cloves shopping list
- 1 piece of cinnamon stick shopping list
How to make it
- Use the tenderest ones you can find, the older they are the harder they tend to be. They are best picked when they just come out.
- To prepare the walnuts: Thinly Peel outer skin but you should wear gloves otherwise your hands will go black. It takes a few days for the dye to wash off.
- Take a knitting needle and prick the walnuts, horizontally and vertically. Wash each one separately and place in a basin with water.
- Leave them in a sunny place for six days changing the water twice a day.
- Put some lime (‘asvesti’) quick lime – in a muslin cloth and place in a pan with the walnuts and let them soak for 5-6 hours. This is optional if you cannot find the lime but it helps to keep the walnuts firm.
- Wash the walnuts and put into a large saucepan with plenty of water to cover them.
- Boil for 2 – 3 minutes and strain and add cold water. Cut the top and insert a half (blanched and browned in oven) almond.
- Boil again for 2 -3 minutes, and again strain and put cold water. Boil for a third time until soft. To tell if the walnuts are ready you make the needle test. Take a sewing needle and prick the walnuts, if the needle passes through the walnut then the walnuts are ready for the final process and syrup.
- Remove from the saucepan and put into a large bowl of cold water and add the lemon juice.
- Leave in the water for 1 hour, this will make them crunchy and shiny. Change the water and place in a clean saucepan and cover with sugar and the water and boil for 3 -4 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Repeat this boiling procedure 8 times (twice a day) and by the end the syrup thickens.
- During the 8th time add the cinnamon stick, the cloves and boil until syrup thickens. Add the remaining lemon juice. At no time should you put the lid on the saucepan during the whole procedure..
- Allow to cool in the saucepan then bottle in clean and dry jars.
- The preparation time and cooking time I just inserted 60 because the program does not accept blanks.