Mpamies - Okra Ladies FingersFrom ivy 6 years ago
- 1 kilo okra - also called ladies fingers shopping list
- 2 tablespoons vinegar shopping list
- 1/2 cup of olive oil shopping list
- 1/2 cup of chopped parsley shopping list
- 2 onions, finely chopped shopping list
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped shopping list
- 2 cups of fresh ripe tomatoes or 1 can of whole tomatoes blended shopping list
- salt and freshly ground black pepper shopping list
How to make it
- Peel stem of okra but do no cut it all off. Dip it in salt and when done sprinkle okra with a few spoonfuls of wine vinegar. Set aside (for 1 hour approx.) preferably in a sunny spot, if possible, while you prepare the rest. (If using frozen okra skip this step).
- Wash and drain the okra.
- In a non stick frying pan, slightly sauté the okra and remove with slotted ladle in a sauce pan.
- Chop onions and garlic and sauté them in the remaining olive oil till translucent.
- Add the tomatoes, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Simmer for five minutes and pour the sauce on top of the okra.
- Add some more water (about 1 cup), and simmer (without stirring as they will break) for about 30 minutes or until okra are tender, and sauce is nice and thick.