Simple Fish GumboFrom vanessa 6 years ago
- 2 pieces of cod, fresh or frozen, cut into chunks shopping list
- 1 large onion, diced shopping list
- 1/4 cup of diced ham, bacon, or smoked pork jowl shopping list
- 6 cloves of garlic, diced shopping list
- 2 ribs of celery, diced shopping list
- 1 cup of fresh or frozen bell pepper strips shopping list
- 1 cup of fresh or frozen okra shopping list
- 1 large can of roma tomatoes shopping list
- 8 ounces of chicken stock or water (if needed) shopping list
- Tabasco sauce to taste shopping list
- Worchester Sauce to taste shopping list
- 2 teaspoon Gumbo Filé powder shopping list
How to make it
- If you're using frozen fish get it out of the freezer.
- Add to a 4 quart pan on medium heat the pork, celery, onion, and garlic. Allow this to cook until soft.
- Add the pepper strips, tomatoes and stock or other liquid if needed. Bring the heat back up and then add the Tabasco and Worchester sauces to taste.
- Check for salt. Add the okra and bring back up to heat.
- Cut the fish into chunks and add it to the pot.
- Bring it back up to heat and then reduce to a simmer. Once the fish is cooked through add the Gumbo Filé and stir well.
- Serve with some parsley on top.