Pumpkin Ice Cream with Caramel SauceFrom shandy 7 years ago
- Ice Cream: shopping list
- 2 Cups whole milk shopping list
- 1 Cup half-and-half shopping list
- 1/2 t. ground cinnamon shopping list
- 1/4 t. ground allspice shopping list
- 1/2 t. ground nutmeg shopping list
- 1/4 t. ground ginger shopping list
- 6 egg yolks shopping list
- 3/4 Cup granulated sugar shopping list
- 1/3 Cup packed brown sugar (Light) shopping list
- 16 ounces (I use a 15 ounce can instead) pumpkin puree (Libby's) shopping list
- 1/2 Cup whipping cream shopping list
- 1 t. vanilla extract shopping list
- Caramel Sauce: shopping list
- I Cheated and Bought 3/4 Cup caramel sauce shopping list
- 1/3 Cup whipping cream. . .you still need this =D shopping list
How to make it
- To prepare the ice cream:
- Place the milk, half-and-half, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and ginger in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat, cover and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, brown sugar and pumpkin. Strain the warm milk into the sugar mixture, whisking well. Pour back into the saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the whipping cream and vanilla. Pour into a bowl, cool slightly and refrigerate about 3 hours, until completely chilled.
- Pour into an ice-cream maker and freeze according to package directions. Then transfer to a chilled bowl, cover and freeze. Place in refrigerator about 1/2 to 1 hour before serving because this becomes rock hard. . .experience has lead me to add this last step.
- To prepare the caramel sauce: Yes, we have cheated but we also have come to be able to happily accept this now open secret. We are going to heat the caramel sauce and cream together gently on top of the stove or in a microwave just to warm. Stir well until smooth and blended. Serve warm over the ice cream. . .I don't know why I am adding this because it seems to be a no-brainer =D