Holiday Hens with Sherry GravyFrom dragonflylady13 6 years ago
- 4 teaspoons butter or margarine shopping list
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice shopping list
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce shopping list
- 3 packages (3 pounds each) Fresh Whole Cornish hens (6 hens) shopping list
- salt and ground black pepper to taste shopping list
- scallion greens (optional) shopping list
- 6 sprigs fresh rosemary (optional) shopping list
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 can (about 14 ounces) chicken broth shopping list
- 1/2 cup dry sherry shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In large skillet over low heat, melt butter. Stir in lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce. Brush hens with butter mixture; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Tie legs together with kitchen string.
- Place hens in large, shallow roasting pan. Roast 1 to 1-1/4 hours until skin is crisp and golden brown, juices run clear and no hint of pink remains when thigh is pierced. Remove to warm serving platter and discard string. Tie legs with scallion greens; garnish with rosemary.
- To prepare gravy, stir flour into pan drippings. Cook over medium-low heat, 4 to 5 minutes until flour is brown, stirring constantly. Gradually whisk in chicken broth and sherry; cook 3 to 4 minutes longer, until gravy is smooth and thickened, stirring often. Strain gravy into a sauce dish and serve with hens.
The Cookdragonflylady13 Wichita, KS
- Not added to any groups yet!