Soft Sugar CookiesFrom cakelady 8 years ago
- 3 eggs (room temp, if possible) shopping list
- 2 C white sugar shopping list
- 1/2 C shortening (I use non-hydrogenated, organic shortening) shopping list
- 3/4 C butter (room temp) shopping list
- 1 1/2 C buttermilk shopping list
- 1 tsp vanilla shopping list
- 1/2 tsp almond extract (optional) shopping list
- 8 C all purpose white flour shopping list
- 1 tsp baking soda shopping list
- 1 tsp salt shopping list
- frosting of your choice or colored sugars for decorating shopping list
- any cookie cutter shapes you want to use shopping list
How to make it
- In your mixing bowl, cream together butter, shortening, and sugar until fluffy. (medium speed)
- Add eggs, one at a time, until incorporated. (medium speed)
- Add vanilla.
- Add almond (if using).
- Scrape the bowl well.
- Add the buttermilk and mix well. (Low speed)
- In a seperate bowl, wisk together flour, salt, and soda.
- On low speed, incorporate flour mixture into wet ingredients, until well mixed, but don't beat in a lot of air.
- Scrape bowl well and give it a good mix.
- Chill the dough for 2 to 3 hours, until firm and easy to work with.
- Roll out 1/4 inch, and cut with your favorite shapes and place on a greased cookie sheet, about 1 1/2 inches apart.
- Bake at 350 degrees F, for about 6 minutes.
- You don't want the cookies to get brown on the edges, this will mean that they are a litlle over-done, and you'll want to bake them a little less.
- The cookies should fluff up and still be white when they are done.
- You may have to adjust the time one or two minutes, depending on your oven.
- If you over bake these, they will be drier than you want. If they seem doughy in the middle, after they are cooled, you may want to try a minute or two longer.
People Who Like This Dish 37
The Cookcakelady Murray, UT
The Rating7 people
Oh wow, these sound like the iced cookies you can buy in the grocery stores, love them so much. Great post. Would you share your Almond Buttercream Frosting also :0henrie in Savannah loved it
As usual,so proffetional.Thanks for sharing.ahmed1 in Cairo loved it
Sounds so good!shirleyoma in Cove loved it