Buttercream Icing For DecoratingFrom cakelady 9 years ago
- 1 C solid white shortening (I use non-hydrogenated, organic) shopping list
- You can use butter instead, but it won't be as stable, but its yummy shopping list
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (or almond extract, really any flavor you want) shopping list
- 1 TBSP water shopping list
- 1 lb pure cane confectioners sugar shopping list
- 1 TBSP merengue powder (I like the Wilton brand) shopping list
- A pinch of salt shopping list
- For chocolate, 3/4 C unsweetened cocoa (use good cocoa) shopping list
How to make it
- Cream the shortening, flavoring, and water. Add the sugar and salt on medium speed until it is well incorporated.
- Add the cocoa if you are making chocolate.
- Don't overmix this or you will get air bubbles in it when you are spreading.
- This is for thick consistency.
- For medium consistency, add one teaspoon water to each cup of prepared icing.
- For thin consistency, add two teaspoons of water for each cup of prepared icing.
- Never color your icing with liquid food colorings, they will ruin it.
- Always use gel food coloring or powder food coloring.
- I really like the Wilton colors.
- If you want pure white icing, be sure to only use clear extracts.
- If you are writing, use the thin consistency with 1 teaspoon of piping gel per 1/2 cup of prepared icing.
- Medium consistency is the best for icing a cake and borders.
- If you want a perfectly smooth cake, without fondant, use a medium consistency icing and ice the cake with at least 1/4 inch of frosting all over and around the cake. Let the cake sit out in the air for 20 minutes, allowing it to "crust". Once the icing is "crusted", you can smooth it out with a piece of wax paper and your hand. Be gentle. If the icing sticks to the wax paper, let it sit for 5 more minutes. If it does't crust, it has too much sugar or liquid, so just use a icing spatula dipped in hot water to smooth a cake that won't crust. You can also use a plain white paper towel with no designs on it for smoothing.
- Happy decorating!
The Cookcakelady Murray, UT
The Rating7 people
When living up north I decorated cakes for extra money.. and this was the recipe... it is soooo good.. I have used the butter flavored Crisco and it worked great, but, it is not pure white then... but tasty..linebb956 in La Feria loved it
This is a yummy recipe. Love the chocolate.gapeach55 in Covington loved it