Melomakarona Honey cookiesFrom ivy 8 years ago
- 6 - 8 glasses of self rising flour shopping list
- 1 glass of sugar shopping list
- 1 glass of orange juice shopping list
- 2 glasses of extra virgin olive oil shopping list
- 1 teaspoonful of cinnamon and ground cloves shopping list
- 1 ½ teaspoonful of soda shopping list
- ½ glass of brandy shopping list
- 2 spoonfuls of baking powder shopping list
- orange zest shopping list
- Syrup: shopping list
- 2 glasses of sugar shopping list
- 2 glasses of honey shopping list
- 3 glasses of water shopping list
- orange peel shopping list
- For sprinkling on top shopping list
- 2 glasses of pounded walnuts shopping list
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon shopping list
- 1 spoonful sesame seeds shopping list
How to make it
- Beat the olive oil well and add sugar and beat as well. Dissolve the soda in the orange juice together with the brandy and add to the mixture.
- Mix cinnamon and cloves with the flour the baking powder, and add to fluid mixture a little at a time. Add the orange zest and knead until a soft, fluffy dough is made. The mixture must have an oily consistency.
- Take a small piece of the mixture, about the size of a big walnut, and give it an oval shape about 1 cm thick. Place in an oiled tin and bake in a preheated oven (180ο C) for about thirty minutes or until the bottom side is golden brown.
- In the meantime prepare the syrup by placing in a pan the sugar, water, honey and orange peel. Bring to boiling point skimming if needed. Remove from heat but preserve the syrup warm. Before the cookies cool down, dip them in the syrup for a few seconds and then with a slotted ladle remove into a platter. Finally pound the walnuts and add cinnamon and sesame seeds and sprinkle on top of the cookies.