Shrimp and Oyster FryFrom gingerlea 7 years ago
- fresh shrimp (these are Key West pink shrimp) shopping list
- Fresh oysters (these are already shucked and from Florida Pan Handle) shopping list
- red potatoes shopping list
- green onions shopping list
- Yellow self-rising cornmeal shopping list
- flour shopping list
- egg shopping list
- milk shopping list
- garlic powder, sea salt, cracked pepper (Old Bay or Canjun spices can also be used in place of the garlic) shopping list
- canola oil (doesn't seem to smell up the house as bad) shopping list
How to make it
- Finely dice 2 green onions with tops and set aside
- Scrub potatoes and set aside
- Clean shrimp and oysters and set aside
- For Hushpuppies, in a medium bowl, combine 1 cup cornmeal, 1/4 cup flour, diced onion, liberal sprinkle of garlic powder, couple of grinds on the sea salt and pepper grinder. Stir around and set aside.
- In small baggie, combine1/2 cup or so of cornmeal, some garlic powder, sea salt and pepper. Set aside. This is to coat shell fish
- Cut potatoes into french fries and put in cold water with some salt. You can use frozen french fries. Set aside.
- Now have a drink and rest your feet and back for awhile.
- In your deep fryer put enough oil to fry however many servings you are making remembering not to fill more 2/3rds full. You sure don't want it to bubble over. (I use a large stainless steel sauce pan and put on medium on large electric eye of stove)
- While oil is heating, drain potatoes and dry on paper towels.
- Whisk egg and 1/4 cup milk and mix in hushpuppy dry ingredients. More milk will be needed to make into a medium thick consistency.
- Put first batch of shrimp in baggie with cornmeal then after all shrimp done do same with oysters.
- Check oil with small end of wooden spoon and if it bubbles it is ready.
- Turn oven on warm
- In this order, fry away. French fries 1st, shrimp 2nd, oysters 3rd placing each batch on cookie sheet with paper towels.
- Now for the hushpuppies. If need a bit more milk add now. Using 2 teaspoons, drop batter into oil. When golden take out and place on cookie sheet. These are also done in batchs.
- Place cookie sheet in warm oven then go sit down and rest again. Please make sure that you have turned off the oil and placed where it will not spill on anyone before resting. Now you see why I cannot give good time instructions!!!!!!!!
- Serve with favorite condiments.
The Cookgingerlea Tampa, FL
The Rating2 people
There's nothing better than a great seafood fry! You're making me hungry...hehehe. Thanks for the recipe! =)lunasea in Orlando loved it
Your recipe turned out great, Gingerlea - and we ate every little morsel. Served with malted vinegar, lemon wedges, tartar sauce and lots of cold beer. It was the perfect meal and a real keeper. Thank you so much!lunasea in Orlando loved it
looooveeeeee shrimps!yummmmmm!iffyo in loved it