Gingerbread House DoughFrom batista_baron 6 years ago
- 1 cup granulated sugar shopping list
- 1/2 cup water shopping list
- 1/2 cup dark corn syrup shopping list
- 1 T ground ginger shopping list
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon shopping list
- 2 tsp ground cloves shopping list
- 1 cup butter or margarine at room temperature shopping list
- 4 cups flour mixed with 1 1/2 tsp baking soda shopping list
- 1 lb powdered sugar shopping list
- 3 egg whites shopping list
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar shopping list
- food coloring (optional) shopping list
- candy for decorating shopping list
How to make it
- In a small saucepan bring to boil 1 cup sugar, water, corn syrup, ginger, cinnamon and cloves; remove from heat.
- Pour batter in a large bowl; stir in flour mixture and mix well.
- Cover and let refrigerate overnight.
- Let dough soften at room temperature. Divide into fourths.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F
- Roll out dough on cookie sheet to a near inch thick.
- Dust patterns with flour and place on dough (start with the largest piece in the center). Cut out with sharp knife.
- Save and re-roll scraps.
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until light brown. Over-bake slightly so pieces are firm.
- With wide spatula, carefully remove pieces to racks to cool.
- Royal Icing: In a large bowl beat 1 lb powdered sugar, 3 egg whites, and 1/2 tsp cream of tartar 5-7 minutes with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form when beaters are lifted. Transfer to a small bowl; cover with plastic wrap. Remove only as much as you need to work with at a time and mix with desired food coloring.
- Once your frosting is made and ginger-bread pieces have cooled and hardened begin putting your walls together using the icing as glue to hold it all together. Also use the icing to decorate with candy pieces or use as snow!