Cream Filled Sponge CakeFrom crossfire 8 years ago
- 4 eggs, separated shopping list
- 1 cup sugar shopping list
- juice and grated rind of 1 lemon shopping list
- 1 cup flour shopping list
- 1/4 tsp salt shopping list
- cream filling: 1 cup thawed frozen whipped topping & 1/2 cup orange, lemon or pineapple marmalade shopping list
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- In medium mixing bowl, use egg beater or electric mixer to beat egg whites until stiff. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, beat egg yolks until light and thick, about 3 minutes. Mixing constantly, add sugar, a little at a time, lemon juice, and grated rind. Mix until thickened, about 3 minutes. Using whisk or rubber spatula, fold in egg whites.
- Put flour and salt in sifter and sift over egg mixture. Using whisk, gently fold in salt and flour. blend well.
- Transfer mixture to ungreased tube pan, and bake 1 hour or until done. Invert cake onto rack, cool to room temperature and remove from pan.
- Using serrated knife, cut cake into 3 layers. Place bottom layer of cake on serving plate, spread each layer generously with cream filling (fold in marmalade into whipped topping), and set top layers in place. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Before serving sprinkle cake with powdered sugar.