Braised Chicken with Mushrooms and Sun Dried TomatoesFrom brilynn 6 years ago
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced drained sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, reserving 1 1/2 tablespoons of the oil shopping list
- 1 large whole chicken breast with skin and bones (about 1 1/4 pounds), halved shopping list
- 1 small onion, chopped fine shopping list
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes, or to taste shopping list
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced shopping list
- 1/2 cup dry red wine shopping list
- 1/2 cup chicken broth shopping list
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste shopping list
- a beurre manié made by kneading together 1 1/2 teaspoons softened unsalted butter and 1 1/2 teaspoons minced all-purpose flour shopping list
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves (preferably flat-leafed) shopping list
How to make it
- In a heavy skillet heat the reserved tomato oil over moderately high heat until it is hot but not smoking, in it brown the chicken, patted dry and seasoned with salt and pepper, and transfer it to a plate. In the fat remaining in the skillet cook the onion, the garlic, the basil, and the red pepper flakes over moderately low heat, stirring, until the onion is softened. Add the mushrooms and salt and pepper to taste and cook the mixture over moderate heat, stirring, until the mushrooms are softened. Whisk in the wine, the broth, and the tomato paste, add the chicken to the skillet, and bring the liquid to a boil. Simmer the mixture, covered, for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. Transfer the chicken to a platter and keep it warm, covered. Whisk the beurre manié into the sauce, whisking until sauce is smooth, add the sun-dried tomatoes, and simmer the sauce, whisking, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until it is thickened. Stir in the parsley and pour the sauce over the chicken.
- I served this over basmati rice that I cooked in half water, half orange juice.