Peking style roast duck with homemade hoisin BBQ sauce - gluten-freeFrom jillelise 8 years ago
- 1 4-5 lb duck shopping list
- 2" knob of ginger, peeled and cut into chunks shopping list
- 9 cloves of garlic, peeled shopping list
- 2 scallion stalks shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
- <b>Hoisin BBQ sauce<b>: shopping list
- 4 T soy sauce (gf) shopping list
- 2 T peanut butter shopping list
- 2 T brown sugar or honey shopping list
- 2 T rice vinegar shopping list
- 1/4 t garlic powder (or 2 cloves minced garlic) shopping list
- 2 t sesame oil shopping list
- 2 t chili sauce (more to taste) shopping list
- 1 t bean paste shopping list
- 2 T plum sauce shopping list
How to make it
- Heat oven to 300.
- Pat duck dry with paper towels, make sure all juice is drained from the inside and guts removed. Sprinkle salt and pepper inside of the duck, then cram garlic and ginger and scallion inside. Close duck, tie legs together and tie wings into the body. Sprinkle the outside with salt and pepper.
- Prick carefully all over, only the skin, not piercing the meat.
- Place in a roasting pan, breast up, and set the timer for an hour. Put duck in the oven, start the timer, and go do something else.
- When the timer goes off, remove the duck to a cutting board carefully, and then drain the fat in the pan into a Pyrex or other heat-safe cup or bowl.
- Place the duck back in the roaster, breast down this time. Set the timer for another hour. After that hour, repeat
- After the 3rd of 4th hour, when you think the duck will be done soon, brush with the hoisin-BBQ sauce and put back in for 30 minutes, keeping an eye on it.
- When the duck is done, let it rest for about 30 minutes, then carve.
- To carve the duck, remove the wings and the legs, then the skin. Slice the skin into thin strips. Set these pieces on a large plate. Then, cut off the breasts, slice them, then peel off the thigh meat. Pull everything you can off the bird, then use the carcass for stock. Put all the meat onto the plate, and serve with scallion pancakes and Hoisin BBQ sauce.
- For the sauce: Mix everything together.