Cuban Meat Stew Ropa ViejaFrom elle 9 years ago
- 2 1/2 lbs flank steak, cut in 4- 5 inch strips shopping list
- all purpose adobo seasoning shopping list
- 3 Tbs olive oil shopping list
- 6 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 2 1/2 cups finely diced onions shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups finely diced green pepper shopping list
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper shopping list
- 1 (8 ounces) can spanish style tomato sauce (like Goya) shopping list
- 1 (6 ounces) jar sofrito sauce shopping list
- 3 cups water shopping list
- 1 packet sazon with coriander and annatto shopping list
- 1 packet beef bouillon (I use about 1 tsp Better Than Bouillon beef base) shopping list
- 1 oz caper, rinsed shopping list
- 10 large green pimento-stuffed olives, sliced shopping list
How to make it
- Season steak with Adobo.
- In large skillet, heat oil on medium high, brown meat on both sides, remove and keep warm.
- Lower heat to medium, add garlic, onion and green pepper, cook-stirring often for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in black pepper and tomato sauce and cook, stirring often for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the sofrito, water, sazon and bouillon and bring to a boil.
- Return the meat to the pan, cover, lower the heat, and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring it occasionally.
- Add in the capers and olives, continue to simmer covered, until the meat is tender and shreds easily.
- This should take about 1-1/2 hours.
- You can add more water 1/4 cup at a time if the sauce gets too dry.
- To serve, shred the meat with 2 forks and mix back into sauce.
People Who Like This Dish 11
The Cookelle NH
The Rating4 people
wonderful post, Elle. Makes a great filling for soft tortillas...really good stuff you have here.notyourmomma in South St. Petersburg loved it
This looks so Good.lovingmybabbyalways in Winchester VA loved it