Cuban Meat Stew Ropa ViejaFrom elle 8 years ago
- 2 1/2 lbs flank steak, cut in 4- 5 inch strips shopping list
- all purpose adobo seasoning shopping list
- 3 Tbs olive oil shopping list
- 6 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 2 1/2 cups finely diced onions shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups finely diced green pepper shopping list
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper shopping list
- 1 (8 ounces) can spanish style tomato sauce (like Goya) shopping list
- 1 (6 ounces) jar sofrito sauce shopping list
- 3 cups water shopping list
- 1 packet sazon with coriander and annatto shopping list
- 1 packet beef bouillon (I use about 1 tsp Better Than Bouillon beef base) shopping list
- 1 oz caper, rinsed shopping list
- 10 large green pimento-stuffed olives, sliced shopping list
How to make it
- Season steak with Adobo.
- In large skillet, heat oil on medium high, brown meat on both sides, remove and keep warm.
- Lower heat to medium, add garlic, onion and green pepper, cook-stirring often for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in black pepper and tomato sauce and cook, stirring often for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the sofrito, water, sazon and bouillon and bring to a boil.
- Return the meat to the pan, cover, lower the heat, and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring it occasionally.
- Add in the capers and olives, continue to simmer covered, until the meat is tender and shreds easily.
- This should take about 1-1/2 hours.
- You can add more water 1/4 cup at a time if the sauce gets too dry.
- To serve, shred the meat with 2 forks and mix back into sauce.
People Who Like This Dish 11
The Cookelle NH
The Rating4 people
This looks so Good.lovingmybabbyalways in Winchester VA loved it
wonderful post, Elle. Makes a great filling for soft tortillas...really good stuff you have here.notyourmomma in South St. Petersburg loved it