Baked Potato SoupFrom expee 8 years ago
- 1 1/2 lb baking potatoes shopping list
- 1/4 lb butter shopping list
- 2 c yellow onion -- diced shopping list
- 1/3 c flour shopping list
- 5 c water shopping list
- 1/4 c low sodium chicken base shopping list
- 1 c instant potato flakes shopping list
- 3/4 ts dried basil shopping list
- 1/2 ts tabasco sauce shopping list
- 1 c heavy cream shopping list
- 1 c milk shopping list
- 1 salt -- to taste shopping list
- 1 white pepper -- to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 400. Prick washed potatoes & bake until a forkpierces to the center easily. Remove potatoes from oven & allow tofully cool. Remove skin & cut potatoes into 1/2" cubes. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan. Add onions & saute over low heat for 10 minutes or until onions are translucent. Don't allow onions to burn. Add flour to onions & butter and cook 4 - 5 minutes,stirring well until flour is absorbed.
- In a separate container,combine water, chicken base, potato flakes & seasonings. Stir or whisk thoroughly to eliminate lumps.
- Add slowly to onion mixture, stirring constantly so no lumps form. Increase to medium heat & continue cooking until the soup begins to gently simmer. Add milk &cream, stirring until smooth & lightly thickened. Simmer for 15minutes. Do not boil. Soup should just simmer lightly. Add cubed baked potatoes & stir to combine. Remove from heat & serve.
- Top each serving with grated cheddar cheese, sliced scallions & bacon pieces.