Grilled Ham and Cheese SandwichesFrom darbar 7 years ago
- 8 (1/2-inch thick) slices country-style bread shopping list
- 12 ounces Monterey jack, farmhouse Cheddar, gruyere, or imported swiss cheese, thinly sliced shopping list
- 8 slices baked, sliced deli ham shopping list
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (or Smart Choice butter) shopping list
- 2 ripe tomatoes, sliced shopping list
How to make it
- Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat. Place 4 slices of bread on a cutting board and generously butter the top sides of each slice. Melt another tablespoon of the butter in the skillet; swirl around to coat the pan.
- Lay 2 slices of bread, buttered side down, in the skillet. Put a few slices of the cheese on the bread. Lay the tomato, and/or ham on top of the cheese. Cover with a few more slices of cheese. Top with 2 of the remaining slices of bread, placed buttered-side up.
- Cook, without pressing, until the bread browns and the cheese is slightly melted, about 5 minutes. Turn the sandwiches with a spatula and add a small piece of butter to the pan. Cook slowly, adjusting the heat as needed to melt the cheese completely before the sandwiches are brown, about 3 to 4 minutes more. Repeat with the other 2 sandwiches. Serve.
The Cookdarbar Elmhurst, IL
The Rating3 people
Really delicious! I used Gruyere cheese and cooked it on my George Foreman grill. I had some spinach so I put that on top of the tomato. Very filling! Thank you. :)frankieanne in Ukiah loved it
I made this again. I didn't have really thick bread this time though. I layered a piece of Gruyere, a couple of slices of ham, sliced tomatoes, more ham and another slice of Gruyere. Cooked it in my cast iron skillet and used butter. I added a pictu...morefrankieanne in Ukiah loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!