Grilled Ham and Cheese SandwichesFrom darbar 9 years ago
- 8 (1/2-inch thick) slices country-style bread shopping list
- 12 ounces Monterey jack, farmhouse Cheddar, gruyere, or imported swiss cheese, thinly sliced shopping list
- 8 slices baked, sliced deli ham shopping list
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (or Smart Choice butter) shopping list
- 2 ripe tomatoes, sliced shopping list
How to make it
- Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat. Place 4 slices of bread on a cutting board and generously butter the top sides of each slice. Melt another tablespoon of the butter in the skillet; swirl around to coat the pan.
- Lay 2 slices of bread, buttered side down, in the skillet. Put a few slices of the cheese on the bread. Lay the tomato, and/or ham on top of the cheese. Cover with a few more slices of cheese. Top with 2 of the remaining slices of bread, placed buttered-side up.
- Cook, without pressing, until the bread browns and the cheese is slightly melted, about 5 minutes. Turn the sandwiches with a spatula and add a small piece of butter to the pan. Cook slowly, adjusting the heat as needed to melt the cheese completely before the sandwiches are brown, about 3 to 4 minutes more. Repeat with the other 2 sandwiches. Serve.