Southern Corn Bread DressingFrom busmamawilliams 6 years ago
- 1 cup toasted, dry bread crumbs shopping list
- 3 cups cornbread (make cornbread with NO sugar in it) shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt (or use 1 teaspoon adobo seasoning without cumin) shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper shopping list
- 1/2 cup melted butter or margarine shopping list
- 1/2 cup chopped onions shopping list
- 1/2 cup chopped celery shopping list
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning shopping list
- 1 teaspoon ground sage ( or to taste) shopping list
- 3 hard-boiled eggs; chopped shopping list
- 2 medium garlic cloves; minced shopping list
- 1 can cream chicken soup shopping list
- enough chicken broth to moisten dressing shopping list
How to make it
- In a very large bowl place the toasted bread cubes & crumble up the cornbread.
- Saute the onions & garlic in the butter until transparent & add to bowl.Mix 3 cups chicken broth with the can of chicken soup & wisk until mixed completely. Add this to bowl.Add all other ingredients & mix well, adding more chicken broth if dressing is too dry.
- I put some of the dressing inside bird & then pile remainder around bird, then butter bird & bake on high heat ( about 375 to 400 degrees) until bird is golden & dressing is SLIGHTLY browned on top. You can also stuff bird & put extra dressing in a pyrex dish & bake alongside bird, if desired.