Carrot CakeFrom abermouse 6 years ago
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon vegetable oil shopping list
- 2 cups sugar shopping list
- 3 cups freshly ground carrots (about 7 medium carrots) shopping list
- 1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped shopping list
- 2 cups flour shopping list
- 3 teaspoons baking powder shopping list
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon shopping list
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 4 eggs. shopping list
- For the frosting: shopping list
- 1/4 cup ( 1/2 stick) butter, at room temperature shopping list
- 1/4 cup solid vegetable shortening shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups ( 3/4 pound) cream cheese, at room temperature shopping list
- 2 tablespoons milk shopping list
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Use one tablespoon of the vegetable oil to grease a 9- by 13-inch sheet pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine the remaining oil, carrots, and eggs.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, walnuts, flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Combine wet ingredients with the dry ingredients in the large bowl, and mix well. Pour the batter into the pan and cook for 45 minutes or until the cake is springy to the touch. Remove from oven and cool, in pan.
- To make the frosting, cream the butter, vegetable shortening and cream cheese with a wooden spoon or hand mixer. Add the milk and vanilla extract. Add the confectioners' sugar and stir until smooth. When cake is cooled, frost.