Dark Rye BreadFrom ravenseyes 8 years ago
- 2 .25-oz. packages active dry yeast shopping list
- 3 cups Warm water (110-F degrees), divided shopping list
- 4 cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- 3 1/2 cups Dark rye flour shopping list
- 1/4 cup molasses shopping list
- 1/2 cup shortening shopping list
- 2 tsp. salt shopping list
- 2 Tbs. cocoa powder shopping list
- 2 Tbs. butter or Margarine; Melted (Optional) shopping list
How to make it
- In a small mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in one cup of warm water to proof. In a
- large mixing bowl, sift white flour and rye flour together until well combined.
- Place remaining warm water, molasses, shortening, salt, and cocoa powder in separate bowl and mix well. Add yeast mixture and 4 cups of the mixed flours. Mix until a sponge-like dough forms. Add remaining flour and mix until all flour is very well incorporated into the dough.
- Turn out the dough onto a well-floured surface and hand knead until the dough is smooth and silky, about 10 minutes. Place dough in greased bowl and turn, then cover with a clean towel and leave to rise until doubled in bulk, usually at least an hour.
- Punch dough down and knead until smooth, about 5 minutes. Divide dough into loaves and place in greased loaf pans, cover, and let rise while oven heats to 350-F degrees.
- Bake loaves in the center of oven until done, about 35 minutes. Remove from pans and rub tops of loaves with butter (optional).