Walnut and Pear Spice CakeFrom hooch 8 years ago
- 1 cup raisins (dark or golden) shopping list
- 2 cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- 3 eggs shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups sugar shopping list
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract shopping list
- 1 cup vegetable oil shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 teaspoon baking soda shopping list
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground cloves and ground allspice shopping list
- 2 cups peeled pear chunks (from about 3 pears) shopping list
- 1 cup chopped walnuts shopping list
- Glaze: shopping list
- 1/2 cup maple syrup shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar shopping list
How to make it
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the raisins in a bowl and toss them with 2 tablespoons of the flour until lightly coated (this will prevent them from sinking in the cake batter during baking).
- To make the cake: Beat the eggs and sugar in a mixer fitted with a whisk attachment (or using a hand mixer) until fluffy. With the mixer running, slowly pour in the vanilla and the oil. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and allspice. Mix into the egg mixture. Mix in the pears and nuts, then stir in the raisins by hand, distributing them evenly in the batter. Spoon into a 10-inch tube pan and bake about 45 to 60 minutes, until springy and dry in the center. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack, then turn it out. Freeze until ready to use or just wrap and store for up to 2 days.
- To make the glaze: Stir the maple syrup and sugar together in a bowl. Glaze the cooled cake by spooning the glaze around the tops of the cakes and letting it drip down the sides.