No Fuss Lentil SoupFrom bostonmargy 8 years ago
- 4 - 6 tbs olive oil shopping list
- One large or two small onions, chopped shopping list
- Two cloves garlic, chopped medium fine shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups lentils, rinsed and drained shopping list
- 8 cups water shopping list
- Two good fist-fulls of spinach shopping list
- salt and pepper, to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Heat olive oil in dutch oven. When oil is hot, add onions and garlic. They’ll start to sweat, that is, they’ll begin to shed water and become a bit more limp and glistening. Saute onions and garlic until they’re starting to get brown, but not all the way there. Add the water, then the lentils. Stir, then add a few grinds of fresh peppercorns. You can use black peppercorns, or mix it up with black, white and pink peppercorns. Both ways are fine. Hold off on the salt until the lentils are cooked, or they’ll get tough.
- Put the soup on a low boil and let it cook for about 30 minutes. Then add the washed, chopped spinach and stir to incorporate. Cover and continue to cook on a low boil for another 10 minutes. Add salt to taste and you’re finished. I used a scant 2 teaspoons total and that was fine.
- A cold day and a hearty yet light meal. Add bread or crackers for the perfect dinner!