Spaghetti with Pancetta and MushroomsFrom ironchef 6 years ago
- 1 1/2 lbs. Dried spaghetti shopping list
- 1/2 lb. pancetta or Cured bacon, diced shopping list
- 1 28 oz. can San Marzano tomatoes, crushed and juices reserved shopping list
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil + more for drizzling shopping list
- 1 Large sweet onion, finely chopped shopping list
- 4 cloves fresh garlic, thinly sliced shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. Crushed red chili Flakes shopping list
- 2 cups Button or cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced shopping list
- 1 cup dry, non-oaky white wine shopping list
- 2 Tbsp. Fresh thyme shopping list
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan or pecorino romano cheese shopping list
How to make it
- In a large stock pot, prepare 6 quarts cold water + 1 Tbsp. kosher salt for the pasta. Add pasta to boiling water and cook until al dente, about 7-8 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a seperate stock pot or large skillet, heat the 3 Tbsp. oil until just lightly smoking. Add the pancetta and render until brown. Add the onion, garlic, and chili flakes, season with salt, and cook until the onions are translucent and jus barely browning, about 5-6 minutes. Add the mushrooms, season with salt, and cook until the mushrooms start to get tender, about 2-3 minutes. De-glaze the pan with the white wine and reduce by half. Add the tomatoes and the thyme, bring to a light boil then reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the sauce thickens slightly and the flavors meld, about 15 minutes.
- Remove the pasta from the boiling water and drain, but do not rinse. Season the sauce to taste with salt and peper. Add the pasta to the sauce and toss thouroughly off the heat, about one minute. Divide the pasta evenly into four bowls, drizzle with the extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with cheese.