Beef BourguignonneFrom waterlily 6 years ago
- 1 (3-pound) filet of beef, trimmed shopping list
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, for seasoning plus 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper shopping list
- 3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil shopping list
- 1/4 pound bacon, diced shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves, minced shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups good dry red wine, (Burgundy is best!) shopping list
- 2 cups beef stock shopping list
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste shopping list
- 1 sprig fresh thyme shopping list
- 1/2 pound pearl onions, peeled shopping list
- 8 to 10 carrots, cut diagonally into 1-inch-thick slices shopping list
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature shopping list
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced shopping list
How to make it
- With a sharp knife, cut the fillet crosswise into 1-inch-thick slices. Salt and pepper the fillets on both sides. Sauté the beef slices in batches with 2 to 3 tablespoons oil until browned on the outside and very rare inside, about 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Remove the fillets from the pan and set aside on a platter.
- In the same pan, sauté the bacon on medium-low heat for 5 minutes, until browned and crisp. Remove the bacon and set it aside. Drain all the fat, except 2 tablespoons, from the pan. Add the garlic and cook until softened, 30 seconds – 1 minute.
- Deglaze the pan with the red wine and cook on high heat for 1 minute, scraping the bottom of the pan to remove any yummy crusty little bits there. Add the beef stock, tomato paste, thyme, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil and cook uncovered on medium-high heat for 10 minutes. Add the onions and carrots and simmer uncovered for 20 to 30 minutes, until the sauce is reduced and the vegetables are cooked.
- With a fork mash 2 tablespoons butter and the flour into a paste and whisk it gently into the sauce. Simmer for 2 minutes to thicken.
- Meanwhile, sauté the mushrooms separately in 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon oil for about 10 minutes, until browned and tender.
- Add the beef slices, mushrooms, and bacon to the pan with the vegetables and sauce. Cover and reheat gently for 5 to 10 minutes. Do not over cook. Season, to taste, and serve immediately.
The Cookwaterlily Joplin, MO
- Not added to any groups yet!