Shrimp and Asparagus Fettuccini AlfredoFrom rachellabella 6 years ago
- 1 lb raw shrimp shopping list
- 6 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 1 small onion, finely chopped shopping list
- 1 pound frozen asparagus, thawed and chopped into bite size pieces shopping list
- 3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese shopping list
- 1 package fettuccine shopping list
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided shopping list
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided shopping list
- 2 cups low fat milk shopping list
- 2 tablespoons flour shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- crushed red pepper flake to taste shopping list
How to make it
- In large pot of salted boiling water, cook fettucini until it's al dente, about 10 minutes. Reserve about 1 cup of the cooking water.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon each olive oil and butter in a saute pan. Add chopped onion, and saute for 2-3 minutes. Add half of the minced garlic to the onions, and continue sauteeing for about 5 more minutes. Cook until the onions are soft and translucent, being careful not to burn the garlic. Add the asparagus, shrimp, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes as desired. Cook just until the shrimp turns pink. Put the cooked shrimp and asparagus mixture in a bowl and cover to keep warm.
- Gently warm the milk in a small saute pan, being careful not to boil. Keep warm.
- Add remaining butter and olive oil to the pan. Add the remaining garlic, and saute for about 2 minutes. Add the flour and stir vigorously with a whisk for 1 minute. Very slowly, start pouring in the warmed milk all the while stirring with the whisk. Continue stirrung, and heat slowly just to boiling. Reduce heat to simmer. Add the parmesan cheese, and additional salt and pepper as desired. Stir to incorporate. Add the shrimp mixture and the fettuccini to the sauce. Toss well, adding up to 1 cup of the cooking liquid as needed to smooth out the sauce.