Mussels in Two SaucesFrom sugarbutterfly83 6 years ago
- 1 1/2 kg mussels, shelled shopping list
- 3 tomatoes, medium size, diced shopping list
- 1 tbsp tomato paste shopping list
- 2 tbsp butter shopping list
- 2 tsp basil, fresh and finely chopped shopping list
- 1 tsp oregano, fresh, chopped shopping list
- 1 leek, finely chopped shopping list
- 1 fennel, finely chopped shopping list
- 1/4 cup double cream shopping list
- Pinch sugar shopping list
- 1 tbsp vinegar shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
How to make it
- 1. In a deep pan, heat ½ cup water with vinegar over high heat. Add mussels and leave for 4-5 minutes until shells open, shaking the pan occasionally.
- 2. Drain mussels and discard any empty or unopened shells. Remove one half of each shell that is not attached to the flesh. Set aside.
- 3. In a saucepan, put tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, oregano, sugar, salt and pepper. Heat over medium heat and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes until sauce thickens.
- 4. In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add leek and fennel and cook for about 5 minutes until softened. Add cream, salt and pepper and simmer for 2 minutes. Blend in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- 5. Arrange mussel half shells on a platter. Put about 1 tsp of each sauce alternately on top of mussels. Serve immediately.