Southwestern Vegetarian CasseroleFrom sola 6 years ago
- 1 1/2 cups freshly cooked rice (still warm) shopping list
- 1 cup onion,diced shopping list
- 1 cup green bell pepper,chopped shopping list
- 1 medium cooked sweet potato,peeled and diced shopping list
- 1 cup canned corn,drained shopping list
- 1 cup canned black beans,drained & rinsed shopping list
- 1/2 cup canned tomatoes with green chilis (such as rotel brand) shopping list
- 1 large clove garlic,minced shopping list
- 4 Tbls.olive oil shopping list
- 1 Tbls.ground cumin shopping list
- 1 Tsp.oregano shopping list
- 1 Tsp.ground coriander shopping list
- 1/3 cup BBQ sauce shopping list
- 1 1/4 cups grated mix of Monteray Jack and cheddar cheese shopping list
- salt & pepper to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat Oven to 350.
- In a large bowl combine rice and sweet potato,mix together.Lightly season with salt & pepper.Set aside.Combine black beans and corn in a medium bowl,set aside.
- Add 3 tablespoons olive oil to a medium frying pan,heat oil on med-high.Add green pepper,onion,garlic,cumin,oregano and coriander.Saute,stirring often until onion is translucent.Remove pan from heat,add mixture to to black bean/corn bowl.Add tomatoes to frying pan,swirl and scrape bottom of pan to get any remaining spices,add to black bean corn mix.Stir all to combine,add BBQ sauce and salt to taste,mix well.Place the vegetable and black bean corn ingredients in the large bowl with rice and sweet potatoes,stir thoroughly.Add 1 cup cheese,stir to combine.
- Grease a 2 QT covered casserole (preferably or use foil but cover loosely) with remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil.Add rice/bean mixture to casserole dish.Sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese.Cover dish and place in oven for 30 minutes,removing cover last 10 minutes of cooking time.
- Remove from oven and let cool 10-15 minutes.
- Serve with sourcream and chopped scallions if desired.
- note:Vegans can use soy cheese or omit all together,it is still very good without cheese.