Stir-fried Rice And DalFrom mellybelly 9 years ago
- 4 cups cooked and cooled basmati rice shopping list
- 1/2 cup chana dal(split chickpeas), rinsed well shopping list
- 4 cups water shopping list
- 1/2 tsp turmeric shopping list
- 2-3 thin slices fresh ginger shopping list
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil shopping list
- 2 cups thinly sliced onions shopping list
- 1/4 tsp each fenugreek, cumin seeds, black mustard seeds and fennel seeds shopping list
- 1 tsp minced garlic shopping list
- 1 cup minced onion shopping list
- 1 tsp red chili flakes shopping list
- 1/4 tsp garam masala shopping list
- 1/4 tsp turmeric shopping list
- salt to taste shopping list
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped dill or cilantro(cilantro is traditional, but dill is very nice too) shopping list
How to make it
- Place dal, water, 1/2 tsp turmeric and fresh ginger in a pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until tender, about 25 minutes. Set aside.
- While dal is simmering heat vegetable oil in a large wok over medium-high heat. Sauté onion slices, stirring frequently 15-20 minutes until caramelized and brown. Remove onions with a slotted spoon, pausing over wok to allow excess oil to drip back into wok, drain onions in a paper towel lined bowl.
- Return wok to heat and add seeded spice mixture, stir-fry until mustard seeds pop. Lower heat to medium-low and add minced onion, garlic and chili flakes. Stir-fry until onions are very soft, about 8 minutes. Add remaining spices and stir to mix. Add rice, return heat to medium-high and stir-fry to coat with spice mixture. Add the dal and any remaining liquid in the pot to the rice in the wok. Stir-fry all of this, stirring well until dal cooking liquid is absorbed by the rice. Add the chopped fresh dill or cilantro and season to taste with salt. Add the caramelized onions and stir in. Serve immediately with lime wedges.
The Cookmellybelly CA
The Rating2 people
I love the medicinal qualities in this full flavored rive recipe.
Five forks and a smile :)trigger in loved it