Smothered Chicken with Mushrooms and OnionsFrom chihuahua 6 years ago
- 1 large carrot shopping list
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced shopping list
- 3/4 lb. fresh mushrooms, brushed clean and thinly sliced shopping list
- 4 skinless, boneless Chicken Breast halves, 4-5 oz. each shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. salt, plus salt to taste shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper, plus Pepper to taste shopping list
- 2 Tbl. vegetable oil shopping list
- 1/4 C all-purpose flour shopping list
- 2 C low-sodium chicken broth shopping list
- 2 Tbl. chopped fresh tarragon or 1/2 tsp. dried tarragon shopping list
How to make it
- Peel the carrot, quarter it lengthwise and then cut crosswise into pieces 1/2-inch thick. Set aside with the onion and mushrooms.
- Coat a large nonstick frying pan with nonstick cooking spray and place over medium-high heat. When hot but not smoking, add the chicken breast halves and sprinkle with the 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Cook, turning once, until browned, about 2 minutes on each side. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Return the pan to medium-high heat and add the oil. When hot but not smoking, add the carrot, onion and mushrooms and cook briskly, stirring frequently, until the vegetables have softened and are lightly browned, about 7 minutes. Sprinkle with the flour and cook, stirring constantly, unti fully blended, about 2 minutes longer.
- Add the broth and tarragon and bring to a boil, stirring frequently until slightly thickened.
- Return the chicken breasts to the pan, pushing them down into the liquid. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until the chicken breasts are opaque throughout when cut into with a knife and the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve at once.
The Cookchihuahua Sonoma County, USA
The Rating4 people
How did I miss this one? Sounds great.sparow64 in Sweetwater loved it
Seriously delicious. I've made it 4-5 times for my family and they love it. Comfort food w/o guilt. Also, I add a few dashes of paprika, an ingredient found in other smothered chicken recipes and we love it.hagenfive in So Cal loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!