MoussakaFrom oanababy 9 years ago
- 2 aubergines (eggplants), sliced into 1/2 inch slices, salted and left to drain for 30 minutes, then patted dry shopping list
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1/2 inch rounds shopping list
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped shopping list
- 500 g lamb mince (ground) - can substitute beef shopping list
- 150 ml red wine shopping list
- 1 can crushed tomatoes shopping list
- 1 tsp cinnamon shopping list
- 1 tsp oregano shopping list
- 3 garlic cloves, minced shopping list
- handful chopped parsley shopping list
- salt shopping list
- pepper shopping list
- olive oil shopping list
- 75 g butter shopping list
- 75 g flour shopping list
- 750 ml milk shopping list
- 50 g parmesan, grated shopping list
- 100 g gruyere, grated - or other flavourful cheese shopping list
- 2 egg yolks + 1 whole egg shopping list
How to make it
- Prepare the vegetable layers first. You can either fry the eggplant and potatoes separately, or for a healthier option, you can roast them sprinkled with a bit of olive oil, in the oven at 375 F for 15 minutes. Set aside to cool and drain on paper towels.
- Fry onion until golden.
- Add lamb and fry until changes colour.
- Add garlic.
- Add wine, tomatoes, cinnamon, oregano, salt and pepper to taste. Simmer on medium heat for 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, prepare a bechamel sauce. Melt butter in large saucepan. Whisk in flour. Remove from heat, add milk. Return to heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened. Remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper, add cheese. Let cool 10 minutes. Whisk the egg + egg yolks together and add to the sauce.
- Layer potatoes in the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish. Layer eggplant on top. Layer lamb mixture on top of the vegetables. Top with bechamel sauce. Sprinkle additional cheese on top if desired.
- Bake at 350 F for 50 minutes, or until top is nicely browned.
- Slice and serve at room temperature.
People Who Like This Dish 42
The Cookoanababy Edinburgh, GB
The Rating3 people
This is the real deal! Thanks for posting an authentic recipe -- no shortcuts, no substitutions. I love it!dmiller64116 in Kansas City loved it
The potatoes at the bottom really works. I loved the cheese/egg topping. My partner said it was probably the nicest thing he'd ever tasted. (Next time I will cut the aubergines and courgettes length ways)dictionaryduck in Newbury loved it
DELICIOUS!!!!! I had this at a restaurant one time. This put it to shame. It was soooo good. My 4 and 1 year olds ate it. My husband loved it!! This is a keeper. I used swiss chesse and it was still really good. Thanks for a great recipe.liveelou in Ottawa loved it