Oyster HushpuppiesFrom wolfpackjack 6 years ago
- 2–3 dozen oysters, shucked and drained (can use the ones in the tubs, but the fresher, the better) shopping list
- 1-1/2 cups yellow cornmeal shopping list
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour shopping list
- 3/4 Tbsp baking powder shopping list
- 1 tsp baking soda shopping list
- 1 tsp ground coriander shopping list
- 1/2 tsp chili powder shopping list
- 1/2 cayenne pepper shopping list
- 1/2 onion, grated shopping list
- 1-3/4 cups buttermilk shopping list
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten shopping list
- vegetable shortening or cooking oil for deep-frying shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- Begin heating the shortening or oil in a deep-fryer or a cast-iron skillet over medium heat.
- In a large bowl, stir together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, coriander, chili powder, and cayenne.
- Stir in the grated onion. (can add the garlic here)
- Stir in buttermilk and eggs until combined.
- Heat the oil until it registers 375°F on a deep-fat thermometer.
- Dip oysters into the batter and carefully drop them into the fat (in batches if necessary).
- Fry on one side until golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn and fry the other side until completely golden.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the cooked oyster hushpuppies to several layers of paper towels to drain.
- Serve immediately.