Coconut Sandwich CookiesFrom girlieerin 9 years ago
- coconut Sandwich cookies (Originally published in the December 2007 issue of Everyday Food: A Martha Stewart Magazine) shopping list
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled) shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 package (7 ounces) sweetened shredded coconut (about 2 1/4 cups) shopping list
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature shopping list
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar shopping list
- 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar shopping list
- 1 large egg shopping list
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract shopping list
- Creamy vanilla Filling (see below) shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350, with racks set in upper and lower thirds. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside. Place 1/2 cup coconut into a small bowl; set aside. Place remaining coconut in a food processor; pulse until coarsely ground. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter with sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. With mixer on low, gradually add flour mixture and ground coconut; mix just until combined.
- Drop dough by level tablespoons onto two baking sheets, 1 to 2 inches apart. Bake until lightly golden around the edges, 10 to 12 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Dividing evenly, spread filling on flat side of half the cookies; sandwich with remaining cookies. Roll edges in reserved coconut, and chill until ready to serve.
- Creamy Vanilla Filling
- Using an electric mixer, beat 1/2 cup (1 stick) room-temperature unsalted butter until light and fluffy. With mixer on medium, beat in 1 cup confectioners’ sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, scraping down bowl as necessary. Add 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (Note: I also added 1 tablespoon milk); increase speed to high, and beat until filling is light and fluffy, 5 minutes. Makes about 1 cup.
- Read more about this recipe at my food blog ErinCooks.com