My Moms Chicken And Fluffy DumplingsFrom sunflower 8 years ago
- 4 – 6 chicken breasts, with bone and skin shopping list
- 1 can cream of chicken soup shopping list
- milk (water can also be used) shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
- Dumplings: 1 C. buttermilk (whole, not low-fat) shopping list
- 2 C. self-rising flour shopping list
- 3 TBSP mayonnaise shopping list
How to make it
- Place chicken breasts in a large stock pot; cover chicken with water.
- Bring to a boil and add salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered for 1 hour.
- Remove chicken from broth and let cool.
- In a small bowl, mix enough milk with cream of chicken soup to form a thick broth; stir broth into chicken stock (water the chicken was cooked in).
- Remove skin from cooked chicken;
- remove chicken from bone and tear into pieces.
- Place chicken pieces back into chicken stock.
- Turn heat up to medium and simmer.
- Place 2 C. self-rising flour into a small bowl; cut mayonnaise into flour until slightly crumbly;
- add buttermilk a little at a time and stir until smooth; set aside for a few minutes.
- Increase heat and bring chicken and broth to a full rolling boil. I like to use cornstarch and water to thicken broth slightly at this point, but this can be skipped if thinner broth is preferred.
- While chicken and broth continue to boil, quickly add dumpling batter one teaspoonful at a time into boiling broth. (Hint: dip spoon into broth between each spoonful of batter and batter will fall into boiling broth very easily).
- Once all batter is in broth, turn heat off and cover pan.
- Let chicken and dumplings sit, covered for around 15 – 20 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
- If additional bread is desired, a pan of biscuit can be made using same recipe as dumplings. Pour batter into a hot iron skillet and bake at around 425° until brown.
The Cooksunflower Jonesborough, TN
- Not added to any groups yet!