Ackee And SaltfishFrom modelsmom 9 years ago
- 1/2 lb dried salted fish, such as cod shopping list
- 6 slices thick-cut bacon shopping list
- 4T butter or coconut oil shopping list
- 3 large onions, chopped shopping list
- 1/2 tsp cayenne shopping list
- 4 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into strips shopping list
- 2 sprigs thyme shopping list
- 6 green onions, finely chopped shopping list
- 1/4 hot red pepper, such as scotch bonnet, finely chopped shopping list
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice shopping list
- 1 (28oz) can whole tomatoes, broken with your hands shopping list
- 2 (18oz) cans ackee, drained shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
How to make it
- In a bowl of cold water, soak fish at least 8 hours, or overnight, changing the water at least twice.
- Drain and transfer fish to a saucepan (discard soaking water)
- Cover the fish with fresh cold water by 1 inch and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- Drain and set fish aside to cool.
- When cool enough to handle, remove and discard any bones or skin and flake the fish into small pieces. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until very crispy and all the fat is rendered.
- Put the bacon on paper towels and set aside.
- Pour off most of the fat and add butter to the skillet
- Add onions, cayenne, garlic, bell peppers, thyme, green onions, red pepper and allspice, and cook until the vegetables are tender but not browned, about 4-6 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, fish, and drained ackee and cook, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve with white rice, or rice and beans cooked in coconut milk.
- Crumble the reserved bacon strips over the top of the ackee and serve.