Vegan Corned Beef and CabbageFrom johnnysangel 5 years ago
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges shopping list
- 1/2 head cabbage, finely chopped or shredded shopping list
- 4 carrots, cut into 2-inch lengths and quartered shopping list
- 2 ribs celery, thickly sliced shopping list
- 4 cups vegetable broth shopping list
- 1 teaspoon thyme shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage shopping list
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard shopping list
- 1 teaspoon mild horseradish shopping list
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar shopping list
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste shopping list
- 6-8 ounces vegetarian "beef" or seitan or reconstituted TVP chunks (I used Lightlife Strips) shopping list
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour shopping list
- 1/4 cup water shopping list
- 1 tablespoon red wine or cooking sherry (Adds great flavor!) shopping list
How to make it
- Sauté the onion in a large, non-stick pot until it starts to brown.
- Add the remaining vegetables, the broth, and the seasonings. Cover and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Add the "beef," cover, and cook for 15 more minutes, until vegetables are soft.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the vegetables and "beef" to a serving plate and keep warm. Return the broth to the heat.
- In a small cup, combine the flour, water, and wine. Gradually stir the flour mixture into the simmering broth. Cook and stir, scraping the bottom of the pan, until the broth has thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Pour the gravy over the "beef" and vegetables to serve.