Char Siu Chinese Red Roast PorkFrom auntiekahala 5 years ago
- 3 lbs boneless pork shopping list
- 3 Tbsp warmed honey shopping list
- marinade: shopping list
- 1 tsp salt shopping list
- 4 Tbsp soy sauce shopping list
- 4 tsp Finely minced ginger OR 4 thin slices Ginger shopping list
- 3 Tbsp honey, warmed shopping list
- 2 Tbsp sugar, white or brown shopping list
- 1 tsp or more Crushed garlic shopping list
- 3 Tbsp rice wine OR Sherry (NEVER USE cooking sherry!!!) shopping list
- 1 Tbsp Chinese 5 spice powder shopping list
- 2 Tbsp hoisin sauce OR oyster sauce shopping list
- 2 drops red food color (more or none if prefered) shopping list
How to make it
- Cut pork into 2-3 inch wide strips and place in 1 gal sized plastic bag
- Heat Soy sauce, Honey and Sugar together in sauce pan til disolved
- mix all other marinade ingredients together and add to soy mixture
- pour over pork and marinade for 6+hrs or overnight, turning occasionally.
- Marinading up to 24 hrs is fine.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare roasting pan with 1 inch water in bottom of pan.
- Place pork strips on wire rack over pan w/ water and place on mid-rack of oven
- roast 20-25 mins basting with 2-3 Tbsp warmed honey
- turn and baste other side for 25-30 mins
- honey should nicely char edges
- slice accross grain in chunks or fine slices
The Cookauntiekahala Kaneohe, HI/Petoskey, MI, MI
The Rating7 people
Char Sui is my favorite, Auntie! I love this stuff! I cheat and use the Noh powdered mix and thanks to you, I'll be making it YOUR way from now on. I can't wait to try this! Ono delicious! Thanks so much for the recipe!annieamie in Los Angeles loved it
OH I forgot to ask you this. Do you have a good recipe for manapua? I haven't had a good one of those in years! The small char sui bao around here just aren't as good as the manapua I remember eating as a child. Any tips or suggestions will be more t...moreannieamie in Los Angeles loved it
Great Char Sui/Siu recipe! LOVE the stuff :), no matter which way it's spelled :) TY, AuntieKahala :)kukla in Barrie, Ontario loved it