ROMAINE SALAD WITH BACON AND HARD-BOILED EGGSFrom vino4dino 7 years ago
- 2 large eggs shopping list
- 4 oz bacon (4 to 5 slices), cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-wide strips shopping list
- 1 large head romaine (1 1/4 lb), trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces shopping list
- 2 tablespoons olive oil shopping list
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallot shopping list
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Hard-boil eggs:
- Cover eggs with cold water by 1 inch in a small heavy saucepan and bring to a boil, partially covered with lid. Reduce heat to low and cook eggs, covered completely, 10 minutes. Transfer eggs with a slotted spoon to a bowl of cold water to stop cooking and let stand until cool enough to handle, about 2 minutes.
- Make salad:
- While eggs are simmering, cook bacon in a 10-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat, stirring, until crisp, about 8 minutes. Transfer bacon with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain, leaving rendered fat in skillet.
- Peel eggs and finely chop.
- Put romaine and egg in a serving bowl.
- Add oil and shallot to fat in skillet and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until shallot is softened, about 2 minutes. Add vinegar and salt and boil, swirling skillet, 10 seconds. Pour hot dressing over romaine and egg and toss to combine. Add bacon and toss salad, then season with salt and pepper.
- Makes 4 first-course servings.