New Orleans French BreadFrom hayleesgrandma 8 years ago
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Combine yeast, water and 1 teaspoon sugar in a large bowl, stirring until dis-solved. Stir in remaining sugar, salt and 6 cups flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn dough onto a surface sprinkled with remaining flour; knead dough for 8 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place dough in a greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85 degrees), free from drafts, 1 1/2 hours or until doubled in bulk. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Cover and let rest 15 minutes. Knead 3 to 4 times.
- Divide dough into 4 equal portions; roll each portion into a 13 x 7-inch rectangle. Roll up each rectangle, jelly-roll fashion, starting at a long end. Pinch seams and ends together to seal. Place loaves, seam side down, in 4 heavily greased baguette pans or on baking sheets.
- Cut 3 or 4 diagonal slashes, 3/4 inch deep, in top of each loaf. Cover and repeat rising procedure 1 hour or until doubled in bulk. Brush loaves with egg white. Bake 15 minutes; reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake 30 minutes or until loaves sound hollow when tapped. Remove bread from pans or baking sheets immediately; cool on wire racks.
The Cookhayleesgrandma Waldron, AR
- Not added to any groups yet!