Vegetarian Hoppin JohnFrom deliathecrone 7 years ago
- (NOTE: Overnight soaking time is NOT included in the prep time.) shopping list
- 1 pound dry black-eyed peas shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- 1 teaspoon oregano shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme shopping list
- 1 teaspoon basil shopping list
- cayenne pepper shopping list
- sea salt shopping list
- black pepper, freshly ground shopping list
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil shopping list
- 2 red onions, chopped, and some extra for garnish shopping list
- 1 yellow pepper, cored, seeded and chopped shopping list
- 2 celery stalks, chopped shopping list
- 4 or 5 garlic cloves, minced shopping list
- 1 can (28 ounces) tomatoes shopping list
- 2 1/2 cups cooked brown rice shopping list
How to make it
- Rinse and clean the peas, then soak in fresh cold water overnight. In the morning, drain and rinse the beans. Put them into a heavy soup pot and cover with more fresh cold water.
- Bring this to a boil and add the seasonings. Lower the heat, cover, and simmer for 2 to 3 hours, checking often, to add more water if needed.
- In a medium skillet, heat the oil and saute the 2 chopped red onions for 3 minutes. Add the yellow pepper, celery and garlic, and saute until tender.
- When the peas are done, add the sauteed vegetables, tomatoes and cooked rice. Stir together well and heat through for another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Adjust the seasonings.
- Serve garnished with more chopped red onion, and hot sauce if you like. This is great with cornbread.