Burnt Sugar Candy Bar CakeFrom cheric 6 years ago
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar shopping list
- 3/4 cup hot water shopping list
- 3 cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar shopping list
- 2/3 cup butter, softened shopping list
- 2 egg yolks shopping list
- 2 teaspoons vanilla shopping list
- 2 egg whites shopping list
- 1 recipe Browned butter frosting (follows) shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped assorted candy bars (If you use candy bars with caramel in it, you might freeze them before chopping them in food processor.) shopping list
- Coarsely chopped assorted candy bars, such as Hershey's, Mars, Nestle, or other (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- Grease and lightly flour three 8 x 1 1/2-inch round baking pans or two 9 x 2-inch pans. In a large skillet, cook 3/4 cup granulated sugar over medium-high heat until the sugar just begins to melt (do not stir). Reduce heat; cook until sugar is golden brown, about 1 to 3 minutes more, stirring constantly.
- Carefully stir in hot water (syrup will form lumps). Bring mixture to boiling; reduce heat. Continue stirring until mixture is free of lumps. Remove from heat. Pour syrup into a large glass measuring cup. Add additional water to equal 1 3/4 cups liquid. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350. In a large mixing bowl stir together flour, baking powder, and baking soda. In another large mixing bowl beat together the 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, the 2/3 cup butter, egg yolks, and the vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed about 1 minute or until the mixture is smooth. Alternately add flour mixture and sugar syrup to egg yolk mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined.
- Clean beaters thoroughly. In a medium mixing bowl beat egg whites with an electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Gently fold egg whites into batter.
- Divide batter into prepared pans; spread evenly. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove cakes from pans. Transfer cakes to wire racks; cool completely. Prepare Browned Butter Frosting.
- To assemble, spread 1/2 cup Browned Butter Frosting over bottoms of two of the cake layers. Sprinkle each frosted layer with half of the finely chopped candy. Stack these layers on a cake plate, frosted sides up. Place the third (unfrosted) layer on top, rounded side up.
- Spread remaining frosting on top and sides of cake. If desired, garnish with the coarsely chopped candy bar pieces. Makes 16 servings.
- Browned Butter Frosting
- In a small saucepan heat and stir 1/2 cup butter* over low heat until melted. Continue heating until butter turns a nut-brown color. Remove from heat; cool for 5 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl beat together two 3-ounce packages of softened cream cheese with 3 tablespoons butter until combined. Beat in about 2 cups sifted powdered sugar. Beat in the browned butter and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Gradually beat in an additional 4 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar and 2 to 3 teaspoons milk until the frosting is of spreading consistency.
- *NOTE: Use butter only. Margarine or other spreads will not yield the same results and could keep the frosting mixture from setting properly.