Lime Meringue PieFrom cherryblossom 6 years ago
- 250g plain sweet biscuits (cookies) shopping list
- 100g unsalted butter, melted shopping list
- 1/2 cup (75g) wheaten cornflour shopping list
- 1 /2 cups (330g) caster sugar shopping list
- 1/2 cup (125mL) lime juice shopping list
- 1 1/4 cups (310mL) water shopping list
- 60g unsalted butter, extra shopping list
- 4 eggs, separated shopping list
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lime rind (lime zest) shopping list
How to make it
- Grease 24cm round loose based flan tin.
- Blend or process biscuits until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add butter; process untill combined.
- Using one hand, press biscuit mixture evenly over base and 2cm up the side of prepared tin, place on oven tray; refrigerate while preparing filling.
- Combine cornflour and 1/2 cup of the sugar in medium saucepan, gradually stir in juice and water until smooth. Cook, stirring, over high heat until mixture boils and thickens. Reduce heat; simmer, stirring, 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in extra butter, then yolks and rind. Continue stirring until butter melts. Cool 10 minutes.
- Spread filling over biscuit base, cover; refrigerate 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to moderately hot.
- Beat egg whites in small bowl with electric mixer until soft peaks form; gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until sugar has dissolved and mixture becomes glossy.
- Roughen surface of filling with a fork before spreading on meringue mixture. Bake, uncovered, in moderately hot oven about 5 minutes or until meringue has browned slightly.