The Worlds Best Tomato Basil SoupFrom onegypsy 6 years ago
- 8 tablespoons melted butter shopping list
- 1 medium onion, diced shopping list
- 1 46-ounce bottle or can tomato juice shopping list
- 2 14 ounce cans diced tomatoes shopping list
- 1 to 3 tablespoons vegetable or chicken soup base (sold in jars) shopping list
- 3 to 6 tablespoons sugar shopping list
- Pinch of salt shopping list
- black pepper shopping list
- 1 cup cooking sherry shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream shopping list
- chopped fresh parsley (or dried if that is all you have) shopping list
- chopped fresh basil (I use some dried while it cooks as well) shopping list
How to make it
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan or dutch oven.
- Add the onions and saute until translucent.
- Dump in two 14.5 oz cans of diced tomatoes.
- Now, get out your potato masher, and squish those babies even more. We like the soup chunky, if you don't feel free to get out your hand blender and puree.
- Pour in a 46 oz. bottle of tomato juice, the best you can lay your hands on. Add the sugar to taste, very important, if you don't, your soup will be acidy. Add the soup base, salt, pepper and dried parsley and basil, if you are using them.
- Heat on medium JUST until it starts to bubble.
- Add in the cooking sherry and heavy cream. Stir til smooth, add the fresh basil, and enjoy!