Beer N Kraut Meatball HoagiesFrom crabhappychick 6 years ago
- 1 egg shopping list
- 1 can beer shopping list
- salt and pepper, to taste shopping list
- 1/4 cup fine dry breadcrumbs shopping list
- 1 pound ground beef shopping list
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil shopping list
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion shopping list
- 2 tablespoons parsley, snipped shopping list
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon, beef soup base is best shopping list
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme shopping list
- 1 bay leaf, small shopping list
- 1 16 ounce can Bavarian sauerkraut (the kind with caraway seeds) shopping list
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch shopping list
- 2 tablespoons water shopping list
- shredded swiss cheese shopping list
How to make it
- Combine egg and 1/4 cup of the beer; stir in bread crumbs, 3/4 salt & lots of pepper. Add ground beef and mix well.
- Shape into 1 1/4 inch meatballs. Brown the meatballs in oil & drain off the fat. Stir in the onion, parsley, beef soup base, thyme, bay leaf and the rest of the beer. Bring to boiling; reduce heat, cover & simmer for 20 minutes. Remove meatballs from the skillet; cover and keep warm. Discard the bay leaf.
- Drain the sauerkraut; rinse and stir into onion mixture; bring to boiling. Combine cornstarch and 2 T. of cold water; stir into sauerkraut mixture. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- If you're really lucky to find them, use hoagie sized rye or pumpernickel rolls ! Split and toast rolls. Place sauerkraut mixture on bottom of roll; top with meatballs and sprinkle with shredded Swiss cheese.
- Note: To make this gluten-free, use gluten-free beer, substitute gluten-free breadcrumbs and serve on gluten-free bread instead of hoagie rolls.