Thai Stir fried pumpkin and eggFrom hollymayb 6 years ago
How to make it
- First off, a warning. For those of you who have never cooked with Fish Sauce, it smells like what it is; fermented fish. The smell is especially strong when you're adding it to a hot pan, as we are here. The smell can be very off putting to a western palate, but trust me, it doesn't taste like it smells. The first time I tried this recipe, I almost threw it out without trying it, but try it I did and it was lovely. I sometimes have it for a late breakfast, without the rice, on rainy fall days.
- Bring 1 l of water to boil in a large saucepan, and boil pumpkin until soft but not mushy, about 5-7 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- While pumpkin is boiling lightly beat eggs together in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a large wok over medium heat, add oil and fry pumpkin until heated through, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add sugar and fish sauce, stir to combine. Pour eggs over pumpkin and allow to set, without stirring, for about two minutes. Continue to cook at low heat, stirring mixture only occasionally.
- Serve hot, garnished with basil leaves, with rice as part of a southern Thai meal.