French Beef With Burgundy WineFrom chef2 9 years ago
- FRENCH beef WITH Burgundy wine shopping list
- Ingredients shopping list
- 6 strips bacon, cut in ½ inch pieces shopping list
- 3 lbs. beef chuck into 1 ½ inch cubes shopping list
- 1 large carrot, sliced thin shopping list
- 1 medium onion sliced shopping list
- 3 tbsp. all-purpose flour shopping list
- 2 cans condensed beef broth shopping list
- 2 cups red Burgundy wine shopping list
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic minced shopping list
- ½ tsp. thyme shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- 1 lb. fresh mushrooms (or 1 large can) shopping list
- 1 lb. small white onions (pearl) shopping list
How to make it
- In Dutch oven -large iron skillet - cook bacon until crisp - remove - brown beef in fat, remove. In drippings brown carrot and onion - spoon off fat - return bacon and beef to pan. Season with salt and ¼ tsp. pepper; stir in flour. Reserve ½ cup broth add remainder to stew. Add wine, tomato paste and herbs. Cover - let simmer 3 hours.
- Quarter large mushrooms - sauté in 3 tbsp. butter or oil - 5 minutes -lift out. Add small onions. Then add reserved broth. Simmer covered until tender about 10 minutes.
- Thicken stew with "Beurre Manie" – ¼ cup flour with 2 tbsp. butter - roll into pea-size balls. Skim fat from stew, drop in balls. Stip over very low heat until thickened. Add mushrooms, onions, bring to bubbling.
- Serves 8 people.