Bittersweet Holten Chocolate Cakes with Coffee Ice CreamFrom biceps15 5 years ago
How to make it
- Generously butter 8 ¾-cup soufflé dishes or custard cups. Sprinkle inside of each with 1 ½ tsp sugar.
- Stir chocolate (I used half bittersweet and half milk chocolate - use an excellent quality chocolate such as Callebaut) & butter in heavy saucepan until smooth on low heat. Remove.
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Beat eggs, yolks, and 5 Tbsp sugar in bowl on moderate speed until thick and pale yellow, about 8 minutes.
- Fold (with a wooden spoon or plastic spatula) 1/3 of warm chocolate mixture into egg mixture, then fold in remaining chocolate.
- Fold in the flour.
- Divide batter among soufflé dishes. This can be made a day ahead and warmed before serving.
- Place soufflé dishes on baking sheet. Bake cakes uncovered until edges are puffed and slightly cracked, about 13-15 minutes.
- Open the oven and see if they look cooked on top - if not, pop them in again for a few more minutes. They'll sink a few minutes after removal.
- Top each cake with scoop of coffee ice cream and serve immediately, but they're just as good half an hour to an hour later. I used Ben & Jerry's 'White chocolate & raspberry' ice cream and it's a wonderful combination. Use your favourite. I'm sure cherry would be to die for as well.
The Cookbiceps15 CA
- Not added to any groups yet!