Basil Chicken in Coconut Curry SauceFrom fondue 6 years ago
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon tumeric shopping list
- 1 lb skinless, boneless chicken thighs (you can use breasts, but the thighs are more flavorful) shopping list
- 1 large red onion, chopped (about 1 cup) shopping list
- 5 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced shopping list
- 2 Tbsp olive oil or grapeseed oil shopping list
- 1 14-oz can coconut milk shopping list
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch shopping list
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce shopping list
- 3 Tbsp fresh basil leaves, chopped shopping list
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh ginger shopping list
- Hot cooked rice shopping list
How to make it
- In a small bowl, mix together the salt, ground coriander, cumin, ground cloves, cinnamon, black pepper, chili powder, and tumeric. Set aside.
- Cut chicken into 1-inch pieces. Put into a bowl and sprinkle the spice mix over all the pieces. Coat well and let sit for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- In a large skillet heat 1 Tbsp oil on medium high heat. Add the onions and jalapeños and cook for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Remove the onions, peppers and garlic from the pan and put into a bowl. Set aside. Use the same pan for the next step.
- Add 1 Tbsp oil to the skillet and heat on medium high heat. Add one half of the chicken pieces, brown for a few minutes on each side. After they are cooked through, remove from pan, add to the bowl with the onions. Cook the second batch of chicken pieces the same way. Remove from pan, add to bowl with onions.
- Add the coconut milk, minus a couple tablespoons, to the skillet. In a small bowl, mix the remaining coconut with the corn starch to dissolve the corn starch. Add the corn startch mixture back to the skillet with the coconut milk. Cook on medium heat and stir till thick and bubbly. Mix in the worcestershire sauce. Add chicken mixture, basil, and ginger. Cook 2 minutes more to cook through.